Posted by Rojas @ 6:22 pm on January 1st 2014

Out of the closet

New year, new rules.

My name is Steve DuBois. I’ve chosen not to produce content under my own name at this blog or elsewhere up until this point. It doesn’t serve the interest of any high school teacher to have an identifiable political agenda.

That’s a secondary consideration at this point, though, because I find myself in the complicated position of 1. working towards the production of a novel, and 2. having to create a public platform for my writing in order to make it, and me, marketable to agents and publishers.

It’s still my intention to produce material for this site whenever my thoughts turn political. For discussion of matters literary, and the continuing chronicle of my attempt to get a truly bizzare young adult novel to market, this site’s readers are welcome to join me at www.stevedubois.net, or to listen to my ill-considered Twitter yelpings at @twitlysium.

1. Congrats!

Have you explored self publication options like Amazon’s Direct Publishing system or is your intention centered around going the classic route of an actual publisher and what not? It is a brave new world out there for content creators. And if you can succeed and pull it off well there can be some significant benefits to controlling your own destiny. Perils as well, but it is an avenue you should consider exploring depending how things shake out.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Comment by Cameron — 1/2/2014 @ 11:43 pm

2. Thanks for your kind words.

When I was a teenager, fiction offered me escape from difficult times and entry into the world of new ideas. This was only made true, however, by the availability of the books themselves in accessible forms. Because I want to be able to pay forward the debt I owe to the authors of my youth, and because I want my work to offer young people a way out/way forward, my preference will always be for the widest distribution possible.

So when the draft is ready (and it’s wending slowly in that direction), I’ll be going the very traditional route of producing query letters, contacting agents, and attending writers’ conferences (to the limited extent that’s possible). I wouldn’t be self-promoting otherwise; I can already tell that this is going to be my least favorite part of the job.

That’s not to say, of course, that I won’t wind up pursuing other routes to publication down the road; there’s been a lot of really good work that has fallen through the cracks. Should my stuff wind up in that category, I’ll likely choose that route over just letting it fester on a shelf somewhere.

Comment by Rojas — 1/3/2014 @ 10:37 am

3. Crap, I still haven’t read your draft. I intend to I swear. I suck. :(

You’re one of the most original and thoughtful thinkers I’ve ever met in my life, in terms of creative and yes political output (also one of the most diligent and invested teachers). Interested to see how it goes, and thrilled that you’re taking a concerted stab at it.

Comment by Brad — 1/5/2014 @ 3:55 am

4. Given other events in your life that’s understandable. :D If you’re still interested, backchannel me; an entirely new draft has been developed in the time it took you to get to the old one…

Comment by Rojas — 1/5/2014 @ 11:53 am

5. Good luck, old chap.

My identity shall remain an uninteresting secret.

Comment by Adam — 2/4/2014 @ 10:22 am

6. I don’t know what’s going on with Brad these days (I’ve been terrible at reading TCP and I don’t know if he’s on FB) but hope all is well. I’ve been wondering how his writing career is going though.

Rojas, you going to talk about Merc and Equinox over on your site?

Are you familiar with Hugh Howey and D. J. Molles? AFAICT they may be a model worth pursuing. I like Howey’s stuff more than Molles Remaining series but I’ve read them all. Haven’t read any of the Molly Fyde stuff yet though.

And I’ve emailed you directly too.

Comment by Jerrod — 4/13/2014 @ 1:05 pm

7. I have a writing career?

Comment by Brad — 4/14/2014 @ 11:03 am

8. Unfamiliar with the aforementioned authors but I’ll look them up when I have a chance.

Brad has been working on a non-writing project which will likely take up a good percentage of his time for a while.

Comment by Rojas — 4/14/2014 @ 2:45 pm