Posted by Brad @ 7:10 pm on March 17th 2013

Selection Sunday

Rooting interests: KU, Temple.

Like both of their draws, except I’d had to hate to go through Georgetown as the #2 seed Elite Eight matchup for Kansas. I think that might be their ceiling. For Temple, NC State depends on which team shows up, but if they win I think they have a shot at Indiana.

And the West – I understand the Gonzaga thing (but I’d have taken Miami), but still, that’s a bracket ripe to be blown up. New Mexico out of that one.

1. Oh and don’t sleep on those lesser-known Atlantic 10 teams. Butler and VCU are what they are (good tournament teams who are nevertheless overrated), Temple could go either way, but I could make a case for a significant run for both St. Louis and even LaSalle.

Comment by Brad — 3/17/2013 @ 7:15 pm

2. Three of my final four picks all wound up in the Midwest, blowing up my bracket before it even started. Duke, New Mexico, Michigan, Indiana. And, more importantly, Sim Bhullar.

Comment by Rojas — 3/17/2013 @ 8:01 pm

3. So gonna take a day to think about it, but weirdly just running through the bracket on gut, my final four winds up with no #1 seeds – St. Louis, New Mexico, Georgetown, and Miami, with a New Mexico-Miami final (and LaSalle and Minnesota being the double digit seeds to advance to the Sweet Sixteen). But I’m having a real hard time calling Midwest and West matchups and I think I’m underrating Indiana.

Comment by Brad — 3/18/2013 @ 11:48 am

4. St. Louis is this year’s trap pick. Hot team riding a tournament win in a trendy conference; good story with Majerus’ death; under-talented for their seed and with a nasty draw. And I include their first round game in that, because, well, Sim Bhullar.

Comment by Rojas — 3/18/2013 @ 1:11 pm

5. Well and I’ve got some confirmation bias going, as I’ve seen a lot of them this year having watched a ton of Atlantic 10 games (along with Big 12 ones). But when St. Louis is on, they deserve to be in the conversation of best teams in the country – they’d be in my Top Ten for sure. When they’ve been on, I haven’t seen a team that looked more capable of just handling a team like Louisville or whoever. VCU seems to be trendy because everyone remembers their great run in 2011 (and they have more talent now). But I have to say, a team like St. Louis have made them look completely ordinary (as they did New Mexico). Don’t forget they’re also very deep, and experienced.

(likewise, I haven’t seen gutsier good wins against top seeds than Minnesota’s, and I haven’t seen a team make over performing look as easy as LaSalle, hence my bullishness on them).

So St. Louis was my final four team going in, but yeah, man nasty draw is right.

Comment by Brad — 3/18/2013 @ 4:28 pm

6. So I’m just throwing darts at the wall at this point.

Bracket 1 has a Gonzaga – Miami final with Georgetown and St. Louis in the final four (and deep runs for Cal and LaSalle).

Bracket 2 has a Louisville – Kansas final with Pittsburgh and Miami in the final four (and deep runs from Minnesota and Temple, so the happy household bracket).

Every time I click the little buttons it comes out different. :(

Comment by Brad — 3/19/2013 @ 3:58 pm

7. This Bhullar guy looks like he might drop dead at any second. Like his body will suddenly finally realize its physiological impossibility and just shut off.

Comment by Brad — 3/21/2013 @ 3:29 pm

8. So there goes one of my final four picks on day one. And also, no Sim Bhullar.

Blech.

Comment by Rojas — 3/22/2013 @ 12:20 am

9. 19/32. Not just the worst bracket in my pool, but possibly the worst first round bracket I’ve ever heard of.

In a seeded tournament, the difference between my picks and those selected by a hungry octopus clutching at two food pallets with team names attached is statistically insignificant.

Comment by Rojas — 3/23/2013 @ 2:03 am

10. My final bracket looked more like Bracket 1 above. Got every minor upset right, and every major upset took out an elite eight team of mine. No deep runs for Georgetown, LaSalle, St. Louise, and New Mexico, alas.

So yeah, I’m totally blown. The only possible salvation I have is if Temple wins tomorrow and Miami makes it to the final.

If I were a betting man now, I’d take Ole Miss to at least the Elite Eight.

Comment by Brad — 3/24/2013 @ 1:10 am