Posted by Brad @ 4:33 pm on August 28th 2012

Music Video of the Week

I give in. H/t Andrew Sullivan and 68 million YouTubers, but the video really is too awesome to pass on posting. For some reason, although it’s an entirely different medium and country, dude reminds me of India’s Rajinikanth. Like when you go from awesome to kitsch to self parody and then back again, in a never-ending loop.

PSY – Gangnam Style

1. I really wish I had seen this before I read the back story. My sense is that the self awareness and social criticism shine through without a single word translated, but I don;t know how much of that is self fulfilling based upon my prior knowledge. Regardless, this is awesome. I like how his voice sounds so cool without overly autotuning.

Comment by Jack — 8/28/2012 @ 11:44 pm

2. It was helpful for me to know what Gangnam was. When I first saw it I just thought it was goofy.

But the dance moves. Sweet jesus the dance moves…

Comment by Brad — 8/29/2012 @ 10:10 am

3. So it does kind of ruin it, but here’s a good article about the song, which I think will wind up second only to “Call Me Maybe” in terms of most popular music video on earth this year.

Honestly, the more of those articles I come across, the happier I am that this dude is suddenly famous – and that he’s famous because of this song and this video (I’ve even googled around a little bit, and all of the people in this video are famous in Korea in their own, weird rights (I had to find out who the yellow suit guy was))(also, his website alone merits world fame and incomparable riches. And the happier I am that this is an international smash – as opposed to all the other things that are or could be international smashes. This may wind up being the most famous thing to come out of South Korea since North Korea. And that’s awesome.

For whatever reason, this kind of shit makes me happy about humanity.

Comment by Brad — 8/31/2012 @ 12:39 am

4. So yeah, I have become pretty obsessed with this.

Comment by Brad — 9/1/2012 @ 5:14 am

5. Okay, I’ve even gone far enough down the rabbit hole to watch the “making of” video. which is awesome for a lot of reasons, but especially when they watch the feedback of what they just shot and laugh their asses off.

Also for the YouTube description from PSY:

From 2 years of break, PSY is finally coming back with his 6th album ‘PSY6甲’!

The album’s weighty title song ‘Gangnam Style’ is composed solely by PSY himself from lyrics to choreography. The song is characterized by its strongly addictive beats and lyrics, and is thus certain to penetrate the foundations of modern philosophy.

I can’t tell you how happy it makes me that THIS guy is the first Asian pop star of note to break the U.S.

Seriously, a world where this happens is just a fundamentally better place.

Comment by Brad — 9/1/2012 @ 9:14 pm