Posted by Brad @ 7:08 pm on March 11th 2012

Selection Sunday

As always, one of the best days in sports.

RIP Pitt and Butler.

As a split Temple/KU household, I gotta say that I love both their chances. One of them will be a Final Four team–I’ll pick Temple over North Carolina right now–and I’ll have a helluva time keeping peace in the household when they meet in the Elite Eight. Although, it should be said, KU’s got a helluva first round draw: Detroit is a team practically designed for an early NCAA upset against low seeds that don’t like getting rattled.

I also have no beef, for once, with the one and two seed choices, including their relative rankings. Although Kansas as the overall #2 (#5) and Missouri as the low #2 (#8) is interesting.

The South and Wests are going to wind up being clusterf*cks.

Also: Boo the committee for not picking Drexel. Inexcusable. Don’t progression and eye-tests count for anything? I’d pick Drexel and either Seton Hall, Northwestern, or Washington (maybe even Nevada) over California and South Florida.

1. What does “eye-tests” mean? Is that a reference to camera friendly teams with white players like Duke or something?

Comment by Jack — 3/11/2012 @ 10:11 pm

2. Yes, that is what that means.

It’s really not possible for me to drum up any substantial amount of outrage over the omission of the fortieth best team in the country from a single-elimination national championship tournament. If Drexel deserved to be in, they can prove it by winning the NIT; as they’ve yet to beat a top-50 RPI team this year, I find that unlikely.

Mulling over my bracket and will shortly be letting you know who will win.

Comment by Rojas — 3/11/2012 @ 11:21 pm

3. Davidson and NCState in round one, Vanderbilt to the Final Four, boredom otherwise. You’re welcome.

Comment by Rojas — 3/11/2012 @ 11:45 pm

4. Nate Silver had an interesting article following his participation in some sort of journalists pretend to be the selection committee thing:

Comment by Jack — 3/12/2012 @ 6:20 pm

5. Also, The Crossed Pond is going through another hopefully brief phase of being blocked on my work network. Reason: Marijuana. You people need to stop toking up.

Comment by Jack — 3/12/2012 @ 6:21 pm

6. Yeah, I haven’t been able to look at the Crossed Pond at work for a few years now. I’m not sure why, since ‘Reason’ is not blocked.

I do think they need to stop playing so many games in conference. Since:
    1) RPI and rankings are so important,
    2) A (relatively) small number of non-conference games determine these those two factors (by which I mean both the total number, combined with the number of ‘good’ non-conference games, as opposed to the large number of ‘Kentucky vs. Marist’ games you get.
    3) Winning the conference championship has no bearing on what’s important (NCAA tournament).

Other than travel, it makes sense to have more out of conference games.

Either that, or have the conference champion get the automatic bid and then scrap the conference tournament (and maybe have the postseason tournament be something more like the Great Alaska Shootout… i.e., non-conference games).

Comment by Redland Jack — 3/13/2012 @ 2:30 pm

7. The calls down the stretch in the Syracuse-UNCA game represent one of the all-time tournament travesties. Every ounce of the outrage currently erupting in the social media is warranted.

Comment by Rojas — 3/15/2012 @ 6:02 pm