Posted by Brad @ 9:52 am on July 25th 2011

A Good Cop

If we post recorded police stops, generally it’s to highlight awful behavior on the part of police.

So you know what? I’ll post a video of outstanding behavior on the part of a police officer.

A guy is walking down the street in Oceanside, California with a gun on his hip, as permitted by law. A cop pulls over to check him out. The guy starts recording, and clearly he’s of the same school of thought as the Campaign for Liberty TSA kid, in that he’s going to be cooperative to the bare minimum required of him by law, including not giving ID, and not giving his name and information (aside from his carry permit (which, presumably, has his name on it anyway)).

Watch how Officer Matt Lyons with the Oceanside Police Department handles the situation.

1. Outstanding, and I’m glad you posted it. I live in Vista, next door to Oceanside, and I will admit to being pleasantly surprised by this. I’m glad to have a reason to be proud of the local police.
    This video should be widely distributed as a model for police.

Comment by Talarohk — 7/25/2011 @ 11:52 am

2. Professionalism is required; kindness isn’t. This officer went well beyond the call, and I can’t say that I’d have had his patience. Frankly, this strikes me as a good reason to videotape encounters of this sort.

Comment by Rojas — 7/25/2011 @ 1:53 pm

3. I don’t see where the kid was particularly uncooperative except in the mild confusion over providing a name. He answered half a dozen questions in the first minute that had nothing to do with illegal activity or probable cause at all. Look I get that this is a nice change of pace from the deeply confused police reaction that often comes out of these encounters, but why was he stopped at all? If he is in compliance with the law, and has exhibted no behavior that is illegal or gives probable cause to be stopped, why does a citizen get stopped and asked a bunch of questions about his activity and reasons for carrying? I mena, this isn’t Norway.

Comment by Jack — 7/25/2011 @ 5:43 pm

4. As libertarian as I am, even I have to balk at cops not routinely stopping guys walking down the street with firearms to make sure they have a permit and aren’t visibly disturbed/drunk/enraged. I realize I can get dinged from the civil liberties purity brigade on that one, and it does open the door to abuse, but it strikes me as serving a legitimate public interest, and frankly if we’re ever at a spot where THAT’S the fulcrum for probable cause debates, I’ll be pretty happy with the state of America.

Comment by Brad — 7/25/2011 @ 7:19 pm

5. Well I am hardly one to ding others for lack of libertarian purity given my squishiness, but what other constitutional rights should we be ok with the State conducting random, probable cause-free stops to check up on?

Comment by Jack — 7/25/2011 @ 8:58 pm

6. Again, I think in this very specific case – a guy walking down a public street with a gun – the legitimate state interest of making sure he’s not drunk/crazy/doing so illegally trumps concerns about whether police are allowed to even initiate contact. I would, btw, NOT be squishy on possessing a firearm as probable cause for a search – just as probable cause to see the paperwork making sure he is doing so legally. Once it’s clear he is in fact in legal possession of that firearm, at that point I think the probable cause has expired.

Comment by Brad — 7/26/2011 @ 10:41 am