Posted by Brad @ 3:39 pm on April 25th 2011

Dark Horse Watch: Haley Barbour Out

He will not be joining the band of Merry Pranksters in seeking the Republican nomination.

Full statement:

“I will not be a candidate for president next year. This has been a difficult, personal decision, and I am very grateful to my family for their total support of my going forward, had that been what I decided.

“Hundreds of people have encouraged me to run and offered both to give and raise money for a presidential campaign. Many volunteers have organized events in support of my pursuing the race. Some have dedicated virtually full time to setting up preliminary organizations in critical, early states and to helping plan what has been several months of intensive activity.

“I greatly appreciate each and every one of them and all their outstanding efforts. If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it.

“A candidate for president today is embracing a ten-year commitment to an all-consuming effort, to the virtual exclusion of all else. His (or her) supporters expect and deserve no less than absolute fire in the belly from their candidate. I cannot offer that with certainty, and total certainty is required.

“This decision means I will continue my job as Governor of Mississippi, my role in the Republican Governors Association and my efforts to elect a new Republican president in 2012, as the stakes for the nation require that effort to be successful.”

As the Corner notes, the good news here is it might push Mitch Daniels in. He’s a good friend of Barbour’s.

In fairness to FreedomDemocrat, I will only make this a minor data point in my ongoing argument that Republican pols who look (and act) the part of the Southern racist have incredible difficult gaining traction, not an advantage in doing so as would hold according to a lot of liberal cw.

1. Next up, btw: Newt Gingrich.

We ought to start a pool.

Comment by Brad — 4/25/2011 @ 3:46 pm

2. Laugh now but once the GOP nominates Herman Cain my theory that Republicans heavily favor Southerners will be proven!

Comment by FreedomDemocrat — 4/25/2011 @ 4:13 pm

3. No no, not that easy – minorities are an exception. This is strictly a white man theory.

Comment by Brad — 4/25/2011 @ 4:17 pm

4. Here’s a good post pointing out that, had the support for Barbour been there, he’d have run. The fact that he’s the first casualty of the invisible primary is yet another example – although a minor one because he couldn’t even get to the “official announcement” step: that Southern Republican racists*, the candidates most liberals assume would be wildly popular in GOP primaries, are in fact the candidates that Republicans run screaming from.

Noting for posterity (actually, just wanted to link that post).

*I don’t think Barbour is a racist, btw, just making the point.

Comment by Brad — 4/26/2011 @ 4:29 pm

5. There’s also the question of the money. Barbour correctly phrased a run for the Presidency as a ten year commitment. Unlike Mississippi, the United States actually has some meaningful ethics laws. So Barbour would have to give up his lobbying ties for a run. In the end, it just wasn’t worth it. I think if Hucakbee doesn’t run it really will show how much financial interest influences running for office.

Comment by FreedomDemocrat — 4/26/2011 @ 4:39 pm