Posted by Brad @ 5:07 pm on August 26th 2010

Music Video of the Week

I named Cee-Lo Green is the Soul Machine the best hip hop album from the 00s (and third best overall), and although Cee-Lo has certainly been visible since that 2004 release, he hasn’t put out another another solo record. So thanks to Chris Bodenner for hipping me that he’s got a new one coming out. Man, this and Sufjan Stevens in the same day, and after The Books and Joanna Newsom already dropped this summer? Hooray!

Anyway, the song is pretty much the greatest thing music has ever produced. Also, totally safe for work.

Cee-Lo Green – Fuck You

(seriously, don’t let the title fool you – what a fantastic song)

1. Okay. I pure straight hate a lot of the songs you post here. But…DAMN. That is about as good as it gets. A perfect synthesis of old Motown production/hooks and 21st century sensibilities.

Hummable as shit; instant fucking classic.

Comment by Rojas — 8/26/2010 @ 5:33 pm

2. Definitely a solid track. A friend of mine posted it a few days ago on our group music blog. I don’t listen to a whole lot of radio, but I wonder how they might possible make this one radio-safe or if they’ve been trying.

Here’s a link to our blog, a lot of what we post is sort of Philadelphia-centric, but Sufjan’s also been mentioned there twice in the last two days.

Comment by CT — 8/26/2010 @ 6:11 pm

3. Well, I live in Philadelphia at present, so that works out great.

Seeing Sufjan in the Kimmel Center in November.

And Rojas, definitly check out his 2004 album (hist first one wasn’t nearly as good). Like I said, one of the best records I’ve heard in the last 10 years. This one already looks to be even better.

Comment by Brad — 8/26/2010 @ 7:14 pm

4. Adding that if you regularly hate what I post, it is probably your own fault and you should reevaluate your reactions. It has been medically proven that I have the best taste in music any man has ever been gifted with.

Comment by Brad — 8/27/2010 @ 10:33 am

5. No, what you have is an affinity for anything truly original and innovative. Occasionally, as with this guy and Gogol Bordello, that results in something really awesome. Usually, however, the rest of the music world is dissimilar from these acts for a very good reason.

I have often found myself wishing that your songs had crotches so I could kick them in it.

Don’t sweat it though. Not everybody has the selective taste to fully appreciate the subtle stylings of GWAR and Chuggo. I’m sure you’ll catch up with me in time.

Comment by Rojas — 8/27/2010 @ 11:39 am

6. Well, whatever the case, just bear in mind I’m talking medical facts here. Also, Chuggo rules—I seriously revisit that song about every six months. There’s just something awe-inspiring about it.

As to the song, I had the same thought as CT—Hey Ya and Golddigger immediately sprung to mind. This could sell 10 million records (already 3 million hits on YouTube before the video has even come out) and be the season’s Hot Summer Jam (TM), were it not called, er, “Fuck You”.

As for Cee-Lo, he’s been plugging away for a long time, and is by far, for me, the most listenable and vibrant hip-hop artist of the century. He could have claimed that title just with Goodie Mob, Soul Machine, and Gnarls Barkley, but if this single and Georgia are indicative, the next album will cement it for sure. And nobody deserves it more than Cee Lo. He’s the sort of guy that marches to the beat of his own drummer and, ten years later, everybody else looks up and realizes he’s already so far down the road you can’t believe you didn’t see him pull ahead miles ago. If there were any justice, he’d be the biggest hip hop star in the world. Also, he’s one of the few in the hip hop world actively mining/working in the soul/Motown vein, which is so obvious it’s hard to believe nobody’s really thought of it before, or at least pulled it off; I’m glad he seems to be pulling even further in that direction. But bear in mind I worship at the altar of Sam Cooke and was also totally one of those guys ga-ga for jazz-inspired hip hop in the early 90s (Us3, Digable Planets, Tribe, etc.), so it’s a pretty perfect nexus for me.

Two of my favorite tracks from Soul Machine:

Comment by Brad — 8/27/2010 @ 12:22 pm

7. To answer a previous question, they are indeed making a radio-friendly version called “forget you.”

Comment by Brad — 8/27/2010 @ 3:10 pm

8. And finally, now that Cee Lo appears to have taken over the world in the span of 36 hours, I would like to give, only once*, the “I liked him before he was cool” line. I’ve been championing him for nigh on ten years now.

*N.B. Not counting the time I had to do it when Gnarls Barkley and “Crazy” came out.

Comment by Brad — 8/27/2010 @ 3:23 pm

9. I don’t blame them for the radio-friendly version, as everyone likes money. But it still seems a damn shame. Hopefully his live performances will exclusively feature the original.

Which raises the question: if the radio-friendly version of song blows up, would you book him for a live TV performance on, say, SNL? I’m guessing a lot of people would tune in just to see what happened. :)

Comment by Rojas — 8/27/2010 @ 4:09 pm

10. There is an official video now, but you have to go through some Facebook hoop to get it, and as I ain’t on Facebook, no love for me.

Comment by Brad — 9/1/2010 @ 11:18 am

11. Ah, here we are.

Comment by Brad — 9/2/2010 @ 9:16 am

12. This turns out to be a bad song to be caught singing under your breath as a Catholic school teacher. Who knew?

Comment by Rojas — 9/2/2010 @ 11:13 am

13. Try doing it walking home in West Philadelphia.

Why are lyrics with “nigga” in it always among the most catchy?

Comment by Brad — 9/2/2010 @ 11:42 am

14. And that’s the ballgame on this one.

Gwyneth Paltrow will be singing Cee Lo Green’s “F— You” on Glee in two weeks, Fox confirmed. The song is going to be sanitized to “Forget You,” which is so substantially less catchy, and seeing the world’s poshest human sing about not being able to afford a Ferrari will provide some interesting cultural dissonance. But there’s a part of me that thinks this could be kind of adorable? If she is all sassy and campy about it? And it’s sort of joke-y?

Comment by Brad — 11/4/2010 @ 9:42 am

15. I am pretty sure you wanted to see this song done in American Sign language.

Comment by Brad — 1/10/2011 @ 11:30 am

16. I am not sure if last night’s Grammy performance marks the official point of jumping the shark, or…well, what it represents. But I’m sure it marks somethings.

Comment by Brad — 2/14/2011 @ 3:55 pm

17. On the one hand, everybody loved it. On the other hand, I don’t want Cee-Lo Green to have to becomme aLady Gaga-style sideshow to get the respect he deserves, and I’m more than a bit bothered by Gwynneth Paltrow’s aggressive appropriation of the song in every medium she can get her hands on. Not yours, Gwynneth.

Comment by Rojas — 2/14/2011 @ 4:30 pm