Posted by Brad @ 10:14 pm on February 22nd 2009

The Oscars

Is it just me, or are they really good this year? Like, the most well done I’ve ever seen them.

1. I turned them on five minutes ago, and three hours into the broadcast, there appears to be a segement dedicated entirely to actors kissing the asses of other actors. It may or may not be the announcement of the nominations for best actor. If it is, it’s a horrible choice. If it isn’t, it’s still a horrible choice.

Comment by Rojas — 2/23/2009 @ 12:41 am

2. For all the acting categories they had five previous winners introduce the five nominees, which I thought was an awesome touch. A lot of previous broadcasts they just list the names and then boom, you forget who was even nominated. This was a much better way.

For the screenplay categories, they had scenes from the nominated movies set to the actual scripts, read out loud, which was awesome.

In other news…Sean Penn? Sean Penn!? asdflaskljdflkasfdasf

Comment by Brad — 2/23/2009 @ 1:06 am

3. Sean Penn, playing a gay rights organizer, in the wake of the California gay marriage decisions.

It is impossible to imagine what it would have taken to beat him.

Comment by Rojas — 2/23/2009 @ 1:12 am

4. Man. I would have been very happy to see Rourke or Langella win, and it’s not like either of those two guys are going to ever get an opportunity like this year again. They were once-in-a-lifetime performances, where Penn wins for a passable gay activist in a mediocre movie, in a performance he gives about twice a year. I was genuinely pissed off.

Comment by Brad — 2/23/2009 @ 1:17 am

5. Rourke, if I recall correctly, swept the film critics’ awards. I think he can take pride in having been declared the best actor by people who actually analyze movies for a living, as opposed to by Rob Schneider’s producer and several thousand of the like.

This is the Oscars. You know what you’re getting when you turn on the TV. You might as well be angry at the sun for setting as be angry at how Hollywood makes its decisions.

(Or, if you want to get even agrier, ask yourself this question: if Aaronofsky puts in a subplot, completely unconnected to the rest of the plot, involving Randy Robinson being secretly gay, who do you think wins the Oscar? Yeah. Me too.)

Comment by Rojas — 2/23/2009 @ 1:22 am

6. All that said, I will add this: I DID see “I Am Sam”, and I will forever regard Penn’s nomination for that performance as being a greater atrocity than any Best Actor win he might pull down at any future point.

It was not hard to see where Ben Stiller derived his inspiration for “Simple Jack”, let’s put it that way.

Comment by Rojas — 2/23/2009 @ 1:25 am