Posted by Adam @ 3:48 pm on January 30th 2009

Jesus wept

In looking up the tedious and sometimes confusing business of Microsoft SQL Server* licensing, I found this nugget of literary excellence in the second paragraph of this page:

Microsoft has been driving thought leadership in this area…

“Thought leadership”? Sweet Jesus. What the hell is “thought leadership”?

Some people have a long overdue appointment with a painful death in a hot fire. Things like this just won’t happen when I’m King Of The World.

*It’s database software. From Microsoft. I quite like it.

1. Microsoft licensing is one of the most evil aspects of working in the software industry.

Comment by tessellated — 1/30/2009 @ 4:06 pm

2. I’m not sure it’s worse than, say, Oracle licensing (as that page attempts to make clear) but, man, it’s expensive however you do it, if you need a high-end database.

However, this doublespeak nonsense is significantly irritating.

Comment by Adam — 1/30/2009 @ 4:22 pm

3. ALL of MS licensing seems to be labyrinthine. It’s almost as though they want to just beat the customer into monetary submission.

As far as ridiculous selling phrases, well, it seems like that’s the currency of the realm. I dread talking with some IT managers. It seems like they pick up such phrases and think it’s impressive to use them even though they have precisely zero meaning.

Comment by tessellated — 1/30/2009 @ 5:45 pm

4. Personally, I despise the way ‘solution’ is used in IT.

Comment by Adam — 1/30/2009 @ 8:17 pm

5. Yeah, I think I’ve grown somewhat immune to that word, but coming from a math/science background that term’s usage is off-putting.

Too often most software solutions introduce as many problems as they supposedly solve.

Comment by tessellated — 1/30/2009 @ 11:26 pm

6. As if the marketeers would so gauche as to actually explain what are the ‘problems’ to which they are selling the ‘solution’.

Comment by Adam — 1/31/2009 @ 7:59 am

7. ‘Agile’ is my personal bugaboo. Just thinking about it makes me twitch.

Comment by tessellated — 1/31/2009 @ 4:06 pm

8. ‘Horizontal’ and ‘vertical’ appear to mean whatever one wishes them to, as well.

But surely ‘Web 2.0’ is the most irritating of all?

Comment by Adam — 1/31/2009 @ 4:47 pm