Posted by Cameron @ 3:49 am on December 23rd 2008

Quiz time.

I consider my self fairly well versed in world geography and was a bit surprised when I couldn’t identify one of the countries on an advertisement on the back of a yearly magazine I was reading. I had to resort to a map to identify the country at the 5 o’clock position from Australia; the one at Australia’s 9 o’clock took me a minute, but I got it.

Who can name the one I couldn’t?

Click to see the big version.

1. My first guess was Columbia, but after referencing a map it’s not even close. I’m not sure what the one at 9 o’clock is either, I thought Peru at first but nope.

Comment by Dingle — 12/23/2008 @ 1:39 pm

2. For the 5 o’clock one I was first pondering Sri Lanka or Jamaica or Singapore or some other island whose shape I wasn’t quite clear on. Then I noticed the straight line at the left side – a feature that islands don’t typically have. After thinking through candidates that included Switzerland, Bolivia and Columbia I was pretty sure it was Afghanistan.

It wasn’t.

Comment by Cameron — 12/23/2008 @ 2:33 pm

3. I found the one at 5:00, but I had to look at a map. I still can’t find the one at 9:00.

Comment by Talarohk — 12/23/2008 @ 3:18 pm

4. Are we identifying guesses in this thread? I’m pretty sure I know them both, without resorting to a map. Brad was in one of them relatively recently.

The key, of course, is that they’re technologically proficient enough to be worth mentioning in a tech networking ad.

Comment by Rojas — 12/23/2008 @ 4:25 pm

5. Sure, you can identify guesses in the thread.

Comment by Cameron — 12/23/2008 @ 4:47 pm

6. And the amount of the country that is colored directly relates to the technological development and efficiency of the country. So it might help to note that the 5 o’clock one barely colored in.

Comment by Cameron — 12/23/2008 @ 4:49 pm

7. Well, I must be wrong about Spain, then; I guess it looks more like the entire Iberian peninsula. 9 o’clock still looks Korea-ish to me.

Comment by Rojas — 12/23/2008 @ 6:41 pm

8. I am guessing 5 o’clock is Iceland and 9 is Portugal. I will now check a map and make myself look like more of a fool than usual.

Comment by James — 12/23/2008 @ 6:51 pm

9. Well, either I am uber wrong on both counts or the artist failed. For obvious reasons I am going with the latter.

Comment by James — 12/23/2008 @ 6:53 pm

10. Rojas and James are both entirely wrong. Also, the countries are accurately depicted so it isn’t fair to blame the artist.

Comment by Cameron — 12/23/2008 @ 9:57 pm

11. Well, swat my hind with melon rind.

Comment by Rojas — 12/23/2008 @ 10:26 pm

12. Since it seems like guesses have been made, I’ll reveal the answers.

The country that I couldn’t identify at Australia’s 5 o’clock position is Nigeria. The bottom portion is the ocean shore and the straight line on the left is a border with Benin.

The one that I got after a while but which has apparently stumped everyone else at Australia’s 9 o’clock position is Finland.

Comment by Cameron — 12/23/2008 @ 10:42 pm

13. Oh, man. Finland! I really should have known that one after having been subjected to a four month nightmare known as an online game of Diplomacy. As for Nigeria? I bet Nigerians don’t even know what Nigeria is shaped like.

Comment by James — 12/24/2008 @ 1:49 pm