Posted by Rojas @ 10:16 pm on November 4th 2008

Raise a glass

Set the politics aside for a minute.

I thought it possible that America might be willing to elect an African-American president within my lifetime. I did not know whether it would have the opportunity, or whether the right candidate would come along.

One can disagree with most every position the Barack Obama holds–and I do–and still recognize and celebrate the wonderful nature of what happened tonight.

Unbelievable but true: in America, anyone can be President. No barrier of poverty, race, or gender is insurmountable to an individual with sufficient talent and work ethic. Tonight, we celebrate both the broad-mindedness and honor of the American people, and the extraordinary drive and skill of the man who made it possible. And we invite the world to see us for who we truly are.

Congratulations, President-Elect Obama. You earned this, and so did we.

1. Well said. It’s worthwhile to remember that this is not only groundbreaking in the history our country but the world. There have been democratically elected female leaders of several foreign countries. Nobody of consequence has elected a 13%-of-the-population minority. Ever.

Comment by Cameron — 11/4/2008 @ 10:22 pm

2. Singh in India? Disraeli in the UK?

I don’t think it needs to be unprecedented, though, to be extremely important and honorable.

Comment by Rojas — 11/4/2008 @ 10:25 pm

3. Details, details…

It’s bloody historic.

Comment by Cameron — 11/4/2008 @ 10:36 pm

4. That it is. And worthy of celebration in its own right.

There’s a whole lot of ways in which America doesn’t suck.

Comment by Rojas — 11/4/2008 @ 10:40 pm

5. I find both people who won’t vote for Obama because of his race as tiresome as people who place some special significance on his election because of his race.

But that’s just me.

Comment by daveg — 11/4/2008 @ 11:13 pm

6. Sorry, dave, but that IS just you.

It is right to be proud when your nation as a whole proves itself willing to set race aside as a criterion for the Presidency.

Additionally, this does send a significant signal to the rest of the world. One would have to wear blinders to avoid that reality.

I don’t think we’re going to see some kind of transcendent change in our image of ourselves or in the world’s image of us. But as incremental victories go, this is a big one.

Comment by Rojas — 11/4/2008 @ 11:18 pm

7. Amen. I have to say that I am thrilled by this breakthrough. For or against Obama’s positions, we all win tonight I think.

Comment by James — 11/4/2008 @ 11:19 pm

8. How many tears were shed, how much blood was spilled, how much honor was displayed and how many sacrifices were made, for African-Americans to achieve this moment?

God bless those who gave so much to bring this about.

Comment by Rojas — 11/5/2008 @ 12:07 am

9. You are on a roll.

Comment by James — 11/5/2008 @ 12:15 am

10. Image of the night:

In Grant Park. Jesse Jackson, just standing in the crowd like anyone else. He’s standing dead still (the people around him are dancing), shaking a little, and tears are streaming down his face.

Comment by Brad — 11/5/2008 @ 12:18 am

11. Hey, that comment just transplanted itself!

Comment by Cameron — 11/5/2008 @ 12:20 am

12. McCain is all class in his concession speech.

Comment by tessellated — 11/5/2008 @ 12:21 am

13. I would expect nothing less.

Comment by Cameron — 11/5/2008 @ 12:23 am

14. Of course, I didn’t mean to imply anything but admiration.

Comment by tessellated — 11/5/2008 @ 12:25 am

15. Look at him, even now, stomping down the worst of his supporters when they act classless in his cause.

Rarely has a candidate had backers less worthy of him.

Comment by Rojas — 11/5/2008 @ 12:28 am

16. Indeed.

A tear was shed for him too. Would that he were our President handing over power to Obama now.

Comment by Brad — 11/5/2008 @ 12:31 am

17. Brad 10: Superb call. I was struck by that too. A page that has needed turning for a while.

Comment by James — 11/5/2008 @ 12:34 am

18. I’m pretty much at a loss for words.

Comment by Cameron — 11/5/2008 @ 12:36 am

19. I wish that Obama’s grandmother would have held on for another 72 hours. Imagine the glory she could have felt, if only for a moment, after a lifetime of being under a glass ceiling.

Comment by Cruise — 11/5/2008 @ 1:11 am

20. You’re forgetting, Cruise, that she hated black people.

Comment by Rojas — 11/5/2008 @ 1:15 am