Posted by Jack @ 11:36 pm on October 31st 2008

Odd vote exchange

Straight friend: I’ll vote against your anti-gay marriage amendment (Florida Amendment 2) if you’ll vote for McCain.

Gay friend: (slight pause) Agreed.

All politics are local.

1. I would gladly trade a gay rights bill for greater immigration control.

In europe the gay/left thing is not as aligned, as gay folks can enjoy a little blood and soil with the best of them (and often better).

Comment by daveg — 11/1/2008 @ 12:12 am

2. Can I also plug an interview with Mark Ames about Russia that can be found here as one of the best I have ever heard on this subject.

Mark Ames published an English speaking paper in Russia that was actually closed down, but he still think the US is not dealing with Russia fairly and that the US coverage of Russia is abysmal and frankly dishonest.

I really think people from all ends of the political spectrum will find it interesting and informative.

Comment by daveg — 11/1/2008 @ 12:20 am

3. Yuck.

Here’s the implied threat: “If you do not vote for my Presidential candidate of choice, I will attempt to prevent you from having a legally recognized spouse.”

I’ve opposed judicial action to legalize gay marriage, but actual PUBLIC REFERENDA on the question ought to be a no-brainer for any basically decent person.

Comment by Rojas — 11/1/2008 @ 1:48 am

4. Rojas, it was a friendly exchange between friends, it was done in jest, and posted merely as my assumption that it probably is representative of personal preferences/priorities for a significant portion of gays in Florida.

As for the no brainer of a public referenum, agreed. As to judicial action, that would entirely depend on the actual laws under discussion and dispute.

Comment by Jack — 11/1/2008 @ 11:30 am

5. daveg: can you just post the full URL (hotlinking doesn’t work)? I’d be interested in reading it.

Comment by Brad — 11/1/2008 @ 2:50 pm