Posted by Brad @ 2:57 pm on October 31st 2008

Election Night

Anybody have any neat plans?

Being in Chicago, I was really turning over whether going down to Grant Park for the massive rally would be worth it or not. On the one hand, I’m sure I’d be glad I did it, just to be a part of history. On the other hand, what a pain in the ass.

Apparently, however, all tickets are already gone. I didn’t even know they were available yet.

So, I will likely stay in, which I’m mildly bummed about. Any of you doing anything?

If not, judging from previous election nights, the whole blog will become a liveblog. So it might be a good place to keep in mind for your surfing. We’ll likely be putting up a lot of threads, and having a lot of fun in our tete-e-tetes. As Rojas said once, for we political junkies, election night in even the most dull of cycles is like our World Cup. Even most of those dispirited by things can’t help but get some energy going for it.

So bust out your scotch (Jack) or MGD (me) or Anchor Steam (Rojas) or wine coolers (James) and join us.

N.B. likely not much blogging the morning after.

1. I am normally up late on election night, but this one’s going to be a dullfest so far as excitement over the outcome is concerned, I think, other than in the Senate races.

Comment by Adam — 10/31/2008 @ 2:59 pm

2. I’m not doing anything special. I’ll be in full fledged political geek mode. If history is any guide I’ll be multitasking to the ridiculous degree I do every election night, frantically refreshing various websites, ingesting television and commenting here.

Comment by Cameron — 10/31/2008 @ 3:15 pm

3. I’ll join Jack in a glass of scotch…maybe a whole lot more depending how the evening unfolds.

Comment by tessellated — 10/31/2008 @ 3:26 pm

4. I am normally up late on election night, but this oneís going to be a dullfest so far as excitement over the outcome is concerned, I think, other than in the Senate races.

Well, we all look to you for our fun cues. :)

Comment by Brad — 10/31/2008 @ 3:36 pm

5. Adam isn’t wrong though. There are too many bellwether states on the eastern seaboard to make it all that fun. I mean, if North Carolina goes Obama the fun will basically be over before it starts. Though if McCain somehow takes Pennsylvania, we can expect hours of excitement.

Comment by Cameron — 10/31/2008 @ 3:52 pm

6. Does McCain lose Arizona? How does Ron Paul effect Nevada and Montana? Who wins Georgia, both in the Senate and Pres (and more generally, are we seeing a Southern softening)? How does Prop 8 do in CA? What happens with Coleman-Franken? What about foot-in-your-mouth reps Bachman in MN and Murtha in PA? Does Sununu survive (I’m starting to hope he does, incidentally)? What about Stevens? Does Darcy Burner finally make it? BJ Lawson? How close to 60 do the Dems get in the Senate?

These, and other questions, live and kind of drunk on TheCrossedPond Tuesday night!

Comment by Brad — 10/31/2008 @ 4:19 pm

7. These are great questions to be sure, but the big one of who wins the Presidency is likely to be answered fairly quickly.

Comment by Cameron — 10/31/2008 @ 4:28 pm

8. As I said, Senate is the interest and I can wait until morning for that. The main issue is a done deal.

It’s only natural that some years will be more interesting than others (2006 was interesting, so was 2004 and 2000). This one’s dull, whether or not you like the result.

Comment by Adam — 10/31/2008 @ 4:30 pm

9. Yes, life is full of drudgery and dreariness and we ought to all be mildly embarrassed at ourselves for attempting fun and humor in such a funless and humourless world.

Go away Adam. This thread doesn’t want you! Begone!

I’m going to change your name to wet blanket.

Comment by Brad — 10/31/2008 @ 4:49 pm

10. Hey Brad, you might not be trying hard enough to get those Obama tickets.

Wonkette
    decided to run through Chicago Craigslist to see what people were willing to sell them for. My favorite:

Looking for a super hot chick to be my date to the Obama event. I have no problem pulling hot girls in general so since I have Obama tickets you have to be not just hot but like super model hot, or if you look like Eva Longoria. Wanna be my date to Obama?

BTW, if this looks like a mess it is because I am experimenting in HTML and have to learn somehow. Ridicule as needed.

Comment by Liz — 10/31/2008 @ 5:30 pm

11. Your HTML looks pretty good, but there’s a strange extra space after your Wonkette link. All you should really need for a link is”

A sentence like this with (a href=”www.yourlinkhere.com”)The Text You Want Displayed Here(/a) followed by non linked text.

Then just change the parentheses.

Comment by Cameron — 10/31/2008 @ 5:34 pm

12. The spacing is due to a couple of html line breaks inserted in the code.

Comment by tessellated — 10/31/2008 @ 5:46 pm

13. Thanks Cameron and tess. I’ll get it right one of these days.

Comment by Liz — 10/31/2008 @ 5:53 pm

14. Likely sitting at home, getting hammered and annoying the woman with my obsessive behavior in refusing to engage in anything not having to do with the election.

Comment by Mortexai — 10/31/2008 @ 6:42 pm

15. I’ll be hosting an election party. Anyone gonna be in Miami that day, you’re invited. Since its a work/school night, it should end reasonably early, so I can prop my most likely drunk self down and participate in whatever is happenin on TCP.

Comment by Jack — 10/31/2008 @ 6:58 pm

16. Yes, life is full of drudgery and dreariness and we ought to all be mildly embarrassed at ourselves for attempting fun and humor in such a funless and humourless world.

No, just for fail.

Go away Adam. This thread doesnít want you! Begone!

Iím going to change your name to wet blanket..

Don’t forget who owns the domain and has the admin password…

I should have a “vote for Brad’s new name” thread. I nominate “Buttercup”.

Comment by Adam — 10/31/2008 @ 8:00 pm

17. Brangelina?

Comment by Cameron — 10/31/2008 @ 8:28 pm

18. Eh, the two of them are cute enough to be called ‘Bradam’.

Comment by Mortexai — 10/31/2008 @ 8:43 pm

19. Wine coolers? What, did you drink one too many Cosmopolitans before typing that? Try single malt, you, popinjay.

Comment by James — 11/1/2008 @ 12:45 pm

20. Libertarians of Northeast Kansas are hosting an election night party. It’s also the kickoff for the campaign of one of our people running for Topeka City Council in November.

Comment by RoTalMomska — 11/1/2008 @ 1:48 pm

21. April. Topeka City Council elections are held in April.

Comment by RoTalMomska — 11/1/2008 @ 2:13 pm

22. Which channel is going to have the best coverage? I’ve got access to a US TV via a slingbox on my brother’s cable box but it’s a hassle to surf around on. I’d prefer to just set it and forget it. I’m looking at CNN now, but would NBC, ABC, or CBS be better?

This is going to be interesting to see how the nation reacts to a John McCain win. Do they be docile and chalk it up to racist bias in polls or do they riot at the obvious manipulation? I wish we still had Russert for it!

Comment by Jerrod — 11/3/2008 @ 4:43 am

23. I don’t know who’ll be better. Apparently CNN is bragging about some sort of holographic display they’re going to be playing with on election night. Personally, I plan on watching CNN’s online stream as they served me well through the debates. Hulu may be another option.

Comment by Cameron — 11/3/2008 @ 4:53 am

24. You really think it’ll be a McCain victory Jerrod? If so, may I ask why?

Comment by Mortexai — 11/3/2008 @ 2:43 pm

25. Boy is Brad gonna be miffed if that happens.

Comment by James — 11/3/2008 @ 3:20 pm

26. I would be indeed, and about 175 million other Americans.

Also, since I’m now freelancing full-time, I can rearrange my schedule, and I’m taking tomorrow totally off. That means I’ll likely be blogging all day long, so there should be something every time you guys check back. Exit poll watching, voting problems, right down to the weather. And then, results.

Comment by Brad — 11/3/2008 @ 3:24 pm