Posted by Brad @ 3:18 pm on October 29th 2008

Joe the Plumber Update

The continuing facepalm saga of Joe The Plumber continues.

Today at a rally in Ohio, Sarah Palin introduced him personally:

“He’s a fellow Alaskan, and he’s a fellow military man who has served our country proudly. I’d like you to meet him.”

Joe the Plumber—who is not named Joe and is not a plumber—is also not an Alaskan or a veteran. Pretty soon I suspect he’ll be floated as a possible Supreme Court nominee based on his extensive common man legal background having already served on the Fuller court between bouts of marching with Martin Luther King and winning a bronze star in the Korean war for saving unborn babies from Arab communist mercenaries.

Andrew Sullivan’s reaction is priceless:

Palin ups the ante and describes this Republican activist who’s voting apparently on the Israel issue as a veteran and an Alaskan. Why the fuck not, I guess?

1. Um…

Long before he was “Joe the plumber,” Joe Wurzelbacher lived in North Pole and Eielson Air Force Base, according to Alaska public records. A family member says Wurzelbacher came to the state in the mid-1990s and stayed about four years — long enough to have the son who can be seen standing next to him in the now famous YouTube clip of Wurzelbacher grilling Sen. Barack Obama about taxes.

Morrison said Wurzelbacher served in the Air Force and that as far as she knows, he and her sister never met Gov. Sarah Palin, who is now Sen. John McCain’s running mate.

Comment by James — 10/29/2008 @ 4:06 pm

2. If that’s true, then I stand dutifully corrected. Thanks for the info.

Comment by Brad — 10/29/2008 @ 4:16 pm

3. Well, apparently Sully read my email and backed off his “Joe’s no Alaskan” thing, but he is still maintaining his “Joe’s no veteran” thing despite the fact that Wurzelbacher’s brother-in-law stated the plumber had been in the Airforce in the same story that I sent to Sullivan and that he cites in his semi-retraction, that includes no evidence to refute Morrison’s statement (and no hat tip for the ‘heads-up’I might add).

What a guy.

Comment by James — 10/29/2008 @ 6:08 pm

4. A correction of my own: Obviously Morrison is Wurzelbacher’s sister-in-law. Oops.

Comment by James — 10/29/2008 @ 6:28 pm

5. Yeah, that’s pretty weak of Sully. I think I would push back on the “he’s an Alaskan” portion more than the veteran side. I lived in Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, and Rhode Island for a good number of years, but would never call myself one of those. But you spend one year in the military, then you are by definition a veteran.

Comment by Jack — 10/29/2008 @ 10:15 pm