Posted by Brad @ 12:59 pm on October 6th 2008

Were Lawmakers Threatened With Martial Law In the Event of Bailout Failure?

H/t to Ed Brayton, who notes this from Representative Brad Sherman (D-CA) on the House floor:

I wonder if that’s straight up lie, third-hand scuttlebutt began from off-the-reservation comments by some senior aid trying to twist arms (my guess), or if it’s a genuine thing that the administration was unofficially floating behind the scenes to create pressure.

1. That was on right before the VP debate, and I remember thinking “what the hell?” but then I got lost in the gleeful activity of launching nerf darts at politicians.

Comment by Mortexai — 10/6/2008 @ 1:27 pm

2. Though somewhat obliquely related, I thought I’d pass along this gem:

We all know how the approval rating of Congress is hovering around the single digits to low teens lately. Well, there’s more to that number. A stunning 59% would vote to replace every single member of congress.

To bad we can’t petition to dissolve our national government, eh?

Comment by Cameron — 10/6/2008 @ 1:36 pm

3. And for the record, the partisan split breaks down like this:

While unhappiness with Congress cuts across partisan and demographic lines, Democrats are a bit less unhappy than other voters. Seventy-four percent (74%) of Republicans would vote to throw out the entire Congress as would 62% of unaffiliated voters. Only 43% of Democrats go along. Still, just 25% of those in Barack Obamaís party would vote to keep the entire Congress even though itís controlled by Democrats.

Comment by Cameron — 10/6/2008 @ 1:41 pm

4. Nice tidbit, thanks.

Comment by Mortexai — 10/6/2008 @ 1:44 pm

5. I’m betting Rep Sherman read it in comments on D Kos.

Comment by Jack — 10/6/2008 @ 8:28 pm

6. I can’t really believe that, if it seriously was being floated by the Whitehouse, we wouldn’t have heard more of it. Nor, indeed, that the Whitehouse would be so stupid as to float it and not expect it to get out.

Comment by Adam — 10/6/2008 @ 10:00 pm

7. I would read “some representatives” to mean “one representative, expressed as hyperbole by the administration and taken seriously by the listener.”

Heresay is always suspect.

Comment by Rojas — 10/6/2008 @ 10:05 pm