Posted by Brad @ 12:07 pm on June 10th 2008

Music Video of the Week

This one’s a real gem. Hit across the song this morning on Pandora (which is, incidentally, the best thing ever), went hunting for a video, and found it—posted by the artist, featuring the artist, on her webcam, performing the song. I think I’m in love.

Terra Naomi – The Vicodin Song

Anyone that includes the refrain “i’ve got vicodin / do you want to come over. / I know it’s a long drive / from malibu,” in her song, had me at hello.

1. She also has the most impressive YouTube channel I’ve ever seen.

Man, what a find. She’s like Amy Winehouse, but accessible, and not visibly insane.

Comment by Brad — 6/10/2008 @ 12:15 pm

2. Man. What a cool fucking chick. Never heard of her, she’s my new favorite.

Finally, YouTube gives us somebody worthwhile to vault to fame.

Comment by Brad — 6/10/2008 @ 12:25 pm

3. I think Iím in love.

What on earth will Megan McCain say when she finds out?

Comment by Mark — 6/10/2008 @ 2:51 pm

4. I mean, come on man…

Comment by Brad — 6/10/2008 @ 4:00 pm

5. or this?

Comment by Brad — 6/10/2008 @ 4:12 pm

6. I think she’s got a good voice but her music is obvious and boring. There a zillion soulful singers just like her and they all sing the same tune. I know she’s got dark hair and dark eyes and her boobs kinda hang out on that first video…but control yourself, Brad.

This is lame even for you.

Comment by tessellated — 6/10/2008 @ 4:22 pm

7. PS. Even her choice of covers sucks canal water.

Comment by tessellated — 6/10/2008 @ 4:24 pm

8. She has also been around for years. You lose the internet today, Brad.

Comment by James — 6/10/2008 @ 5:22 pm

9. PS> She sure beats that god awful mewling, harp-playing chick that Brad posted a while back.

Comment by James — 6/10/2008 @ 5:26 pm

10. Joanna Newsom rocks.

I do realize she’s been around for awhile, but it’s the first I’ve ever heard of her.

tessellated: you’re fucking nuts. I haven’t had as viscerally positive a reaction to a voice or style in a good long while. Normally, by the way, the fluttering voice thing doesn’t work for me—and Lords knows if it’s eye candy pop artists I want, there’s more then enough to go around.

I do think a few of her original tunes are kind of banally written—she’s young. And a few of her cover choices wouldn’t be on my list. But man, from songwriting to voice to style, she’s got just this thing that’s both really raw and untrained and really sophisticated and polished working at the same time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.

Anyway, great stuff. Glad I stumbled across it.

Comment by Brad — 6/10/2008 @ 5:40 pm

11. I did say she’s got a good voice, certainly an improvement over Alanis Morissette. That’s all she’s got though. Her songs are dull and derivative in that kind of alterna-chick way that was done and redone so heavily in the 90s and onwards. There isn’t anything wrong with that per se; I just don’t find it very interesting.

There are plenty of singers out there with good pipes though. My choice of female singers tends to women like Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star, Lisa Gerard of Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie Sioux, or Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins. Of those, I’d Lisa is the only one with a truly phenomenal voice, but even then that’s not what keeps my interest. It’s the music they make and what they do with their voices musically that I find interesting. About the only songstress I can think of off the top of my head whom I like lyrically might be Patti Smith, and even then her appeal for me is limited to her early work.

Hmmm. Actually an example of a female singer I admire at least as much for her raw talent as for her music would be Diamanda Galas. She’s capable of using her voice like a weapon and like an instrument all at the same time. Even so, the aesthetics of what she does I find attractive: dark, discordant, aggressive, and challenging.

Comment by tessellated — 6/10/2008 @ 7:03 pm

12. Joanna Newsom should be run through her harp like a cheese grater. I’m just sayin’.

Comment by James — 6/10/2008 @ 8:45 pm

13. I love her, too.

Here’s one of her less-known works.

Terra Naomi – “Jack The World”

Comment by Rojas — 6/11/2008 @ 12:37 am

14. Joanna Newsom does however rock.

Comment by Mark — 6/11/2008 @ 9:13 am