Posted by Rojas @ 12:21 am on May 4th 2008

1-100

Andrew Sullivan is now starting to seriously entertain the possibility of an Obama-Clinton ticket.

There is still a chance I might vote for Obama this fall; some of McCain’s recent pandering has me teetering a bit. But there is NO prospect that I will vote for him if he places Hillary Clinton a heartbeat away from the Presidency. The woman has richly earned a trip to political exile for the remainder of her life; her campaign is emblematic of EVERYTHING Obama claims to repudiate; and if Obama brings her on board for the sake of electoral advantage, it will constitute concrete proof that his image as a “new politician” out to change the system for the better is entirely show.

Also, I’m just gonna go ahead and ask this: on a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being “that’s dangerously insane, you idiot” and 100 being “yeah, she’d probably give it a shot”: how certain are we that Vice President Hillary Clinton wouldn’t try to have President Obama killed?

I was at a “1” as recently as February, I think. After what I’ve seen from her post-Super Tuesday, I’m now somewhere in the low teens. I don’t think she’s that evil/ambitious, but I’m no longer willing to entirely discount the possibility. It has been that bad.

1. As I said, I’m still theoretically open to voting McCain, but it would be pretty hard to shake me off the Obama tree by now (and McCain, for his part, isn’t making the sale with me at all).

However, a Clinton VP nod would be a nice chainsaw to the trunk.

I’m comforted by the notion that I would guess there is if not zero then so-close-to-being-zero-as-to-be-virtually-indistinguishable chance of it happening. It has to still be considered a possibility, for no other reason than Clinton might take such a hatchet to the party that it forces Obama (and the party’s) hand for the sake of not literally spurring the creation of two liberal parties (or somesuch). There is more than just the regular “I don’t like that candidate personally or politically” stuff you’d get between, say, Romney and McCain. There is so much baggage there that I have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which Obama and his people manage to get talked into or talk themselves into pulling that trigger.

As to your totally irresponsible question: I think I’d be up to the low 20s by now.

Comment by Brad — 5/4/2008 @ 12:40 am

2. I’m pretty firmly for Obama, but I will not vote for him if Hillary’s the wingman as it flies in the face of eveything he talks about.

I haven’t been tremendously impressed with McCain’s tap dancing either, so I might have to write in someone if this horor came to pass.

Ignoring assasination attempt odds. Talk about borrowing trouble. . .

Comment by Liz — 5/4/2008 @ 1:16 am

3. As opposed to you guys, my distaste of Hillary has actually softened through this primary process. True, she’s stooped and pandered and played some dirty politics. It hasn’t been that bad, however. This process as revealed her to be somewhat less of a virulent power-seeker of which I had preconceived notions. This isn’t too say that she’s changed marvelously for the better as much as Obama’s star has dimmed. I always held out some hope that Obama was more of a moderate Tony Blair type liberal, but he’s espousing the same old leftist victim politics. He transcends this line in some respects but toes the line far too often.

The pivotal point was Ohio and NAFTA. The idiotic pledges by both candidates to renegotiate the treaty was very disheartening. Since that point I just haven’t been able to align myself with Obama.

The doesn’t mean Hillary did much better, just that the previous preference of Obama in comparision Hillary evaporated. While Obama was previously a strong second in contrast to McCain, he’s sunk to the level of Hillary and solidified my support of McCain. He’s become a tired old Democrat. Frankly I don’t care much anymore who leads the Democratic ticket.

At this point, I still mildly prefer a President Obama to a President Clinton, but McCain is my absolute choice for November.

Comment by Cameron — 5/4/2008 @ 2:20 am

4. Oh and I put those odds at .0001-100. I can’t see any shred of that in her. She wants the job but not with any where near that level of desire.

Comment by Cameron — 5/4/2008 @ 2:22 am

5. I’m not sure this crazy election build up needs the spice, but there are three ways to avoid Hillary killing Obama, which should all be considered:

1. We kill Obama for her.
    2. We kill Hillary.
    3. We kill everybody.

– RNC

Comment by fred — 5/4/2008 @ 7:49 am

6. Unsurprisingly, I pretty much agree with Cameron.

Comment by Adam — 5/4/2008 @ 7:55 am

7. Two things must ye know of the Wise Woman, fred…

Comment by Rojas — 5/4/2008 @ 11:48 am

8. If I were Obama, I would be mighty nervous with Hillary being a heartbeat away from the Presidency–his heartbeat.

Comment by James — 5/4/2008 @ 12:33 pm

9. There is no way in hell I will vote for Clinton. I don’t care who she shares the ticket with or what order. In fact, if I can’t vote for Obama this November then I will likely be voting strategically against her.

She makes my skin crawl.

Comment by tessellated — 5/4/2008 @ 1:34 pm