Posted by Brad @ 11:05 pm on April 24th 2008

Dark Horse for McCain VP?

We’ve been talking about VP possibilities for the last few months, and one thing you might notice on McCain’s shortlist…they’re all older white men.

Today, it’s being passed around that one of the short-listers may in fact be a 53-year-old woman not from politics at all…former Hewlett-Packard Chairwoman Carly Fiorina.

Sadly, the female or African American bench for the Republicans is pretty thin, at least for national players of the caliber needed to pull off a VP slot (that’s also, incidentally, true for Democrats). But, the idea of McCain picking a young woman for his VP has to just have his insiders salivating. It would be a very, very, very strong move on his part, if he could find the right person.

1. Why do I keep thinking there was some sort of scandal with her and corporate board room intrigue? Am I confusing her with someone else?

Comment by tessellated — 4/24/2008 @ 11:35 pm

2. I don’t remember there being a scandal, but I could be completely wrong about that.

She was dismissed from HP, but I thought that was because the company wasn’t doing as well as the board wanted it to be. It was a pretty public humiliation though.

Comment by Liz — 4/24/2008 @ 11:58 pm

3. Nope, same company, different lady in charge. That was Patricia Dunn, who replaced Fiorina.

Fiorina spurred the Compaq merger that kind of touched off all the problems at HP, and the leaks that came out of the management of that affair from the HP board is what set Dunn off on her spying quest (tapping the private phones of the board members and whatnot). The leaks, incidentally, were at least partly about problems the board had with Fiorina. But I think it’s been pretty well decided that she had nothing to do with the leaking (there were two board members in particular that most people assume were responsible now), or the spying.

Like Liz, I do recall her being a pretty controversial and not very well-regarded CEO, and it sounded like Dunn and the rest of the board didn’t think very highly of her. Although she ended up looking pretty good, mostly because of Dunn’s rather amazing scandal very shortly after.

Comment by Brad — 4/25/2008 @ 1:33 am

4. There was talk of Bobby Jindal yesterday, although the McCain campaign sort-of rebutted it. Jindal could have a real future on the national stage, although now might be somewhat early for him.

Comment by Adam — 4/25/2008 @ 10:09 am

5. I really like Jindal and as I said here. I’ve had my eye on for quite some, since his first run at the governorship a few years ago when he lost. And actually, he’s one of the few non-national politicians that I’ve kept tabs on.

Comment by Cameron — 4/25/2008 @ 3:49 pm

6. bah, how the hell do you do hyperlinks here?

Comment by Cameron — 4/25/2008 @ 3:49 pm

7. And why exactly is part of that highlighted in orange?

the link if anybody cares where I brought this up: http://thecrossedpond.com/?p=2878#comment-9701

Comment by Cameron — 4/25/2008 @ 3:50 pm

8. The orange normally appears when you use the search function (added by the webapp software). Not entirely sure why it’s added to links written out in full.

Comment by Adam — 4/25/2008 @ 4:16 pm