Posted by Brad @ 2:33 am on February 29th 2008

Site Stuff

I’m cutting a bit of the fat from the blogroll tonight. Just a few sites that either aren’t updating regularly, are a bit niche, or just sites that frankly I don’t know that any of us bloggers read but which nevertheless wound up there somehow. Nothing wrong with them per se, just didn’t fit.

So, I cut out a half a dozen tonight. I tend to fall on the side of keeping a blogroll trim rather than just A. include anyone that’s ever looked at as forlornly, or B. adding a bunch of big name sites that you probably know about already, for the sake of it.

We’re down to 30 now. I think 50 would be the absolute max. Around 40 is probably what we’ll shoot for.

I did add one site to the roll: Obsidian Wings. It’s a tough blog to peg, save that almost everything hilzoy has ever posted has been absolutely worth reading. She’s one of the best bloggers alive, for my money; her throw-away posts tend to be better and more insightful than just about anything I’ve ever written. Damning with faint praise to be sure, but still, she’s awesome.

In any case, now that we’re on the lean side, I’ll open up this thread to suggestions for other sites we ought to look at, bearing in mind we may well not take any of the suggestions (we’re a curmudgeonly bunch).

We tend to favor sites that are A. daily reads (e.g. Sully, LewRockwell, RCP, etc.), B. sites we have a personal relationship (mostly because they are awesome and we make it a point to)(e.g. FreedomDemocrats, RedStateEclectic, DizzyThinks, etc.), or C. sites that are genuine and overlooked resources (e.g. FreeForAll, PaulCongress, Senatus). A lot of the rest fall somewhere in that spectrum.

Big bonus points for sites that would return the blogroll-love favor, or bloggers/sites/communities that we could actively cultivate some relationship with.

Additionally, I’m kicking around the idea of revamping our About section. I like (a lot) the stuff that’s there, but I think it’s a little unwieldy and lugubrious as it is, and the “About” section tends to be the first thing that I (and I’d imagine many) check when landing at a new blog. That’ll probably be a longer term project, but if anybody has any inspired suggestions on that front, feel free to throw them out.

And what the hell, any other random suggestions on site matters, might as well pitch those in too. We’ve been live, active, and growing for a year now; maybe this year we’ll actually start customizing a bit off and on. Noting, at the outset, that we are limited a lot by Dashboard and our own technological idiocy. But hey, at the very least you can get it off your chest, right?

1. Republican Renaissance seems to have thrown in the towel–might be time to cut them loose. And I’ll sacrifice Brad Setser; that was more an example of me name-dropping than anything else.

Comment by Rojas — 2/29/2008 @ 9:31 am

2. Excellent call on both trimming and adding Hilzoy.
    I’ll email some of my recommendations.

Comment by Jack — 2/29/2008 @ 9:44 am

3. Just a general question. Who said/wrote the great quote up in your banner?

Comment by silva012682 — 2/29/2008 @ 1:27 pm

4. Alexander Hamilton, wasn’t it?

I think that it’s my turn to pick one. Let me think…

Comment by Adam — 2/29/2008 @ 1:56 pm

5. Hamilton, yes. It’s one of my all-time favorites. We used to change those out pretty regularly, but that one just stuck, and seems to be relevant for most any situation.

Comment by Brad — 2/29/2008 @ 4:19 pm

6. And by ‘pretty regularly’ you mean ‘twice’, don’t you?

Comment by Adam — 2/29/2008 @ 4:33 pm

7. Oh, good to here. Somewhere along the way, I got the impression that Alexander Hamilton had been a big government type compared to the other founding fathers. Maybe I judged him prematurely.

Comment by silva012682 — 2/29/2008 @ 5:24 pm

8. I don’t think that it’s necessarily a statement against ‘big government’, although it stands against a particular sort of big government where power is aquired through trying to scare voters.

Comment by Adam — 2/29/2008 @ 5:28 pm

9. Hamilton certainly isn’t viewed positively by most libertarian historians, for very good reason. He was sort of the founder of an “elastic” interpretation of the constitution, created the first national bank (and the first national debt), and created the federalist party (strong central government, interested in empire and mercantilism, etc). He was Thomas Jefferson’s great political adversary, and I think it’s absolutely correct to say he was the “big government” advocate compared to the other founding fathers.

Still, when you’re right, you’re right.

Comment by Brad — 2/29/2008 @ 5:38 pm

10. What is the image on the banner’s left side? I’ve been staring it for months now and haven’t been able to figure out what it is supposed to be. I think see a rock with bit of moss on it and abstractish dolphin leaping over the ocean, but I’m almost positive that’s not what it was intended to be.

Comment by anon4rp — 2/29/2008 @ 5:41 pm

11. Thanks for clearing that up Brad. I knew I wasn’t imagining things. By the way, I’m thinking the image is more of a killer whale with a mountain in the background being viewed through through the weeds and through the eyes of a “marine” sniper on a distant shore.

Comment by silva012682 — 2/29/2008 @ 5:45 pm

12. the image is more of a killer whale with a mountain in the background being viewed through the weeds and through the eyes of a “marine” sniper on a distant shore.

Yes. Yes, that is exactly what it is.

Comment by Brad — 2/29/2008 @ 5:49 pm

13. Don’t forget the picture at the bottom right. It explains and compliments the top left. The brown UFO on the sand behind the shrub the the key to understanding both images. Once you do, all is revealed.

Comment by Cameron — 2/29/2008 @ 6:37 pm

14. Which is to say: Once you see it, you’ll shit bricks.

Comment by Jack — 2/29/2008 @ 6:45 pm

15. Saw a post the other day from Republican Renaissance–sounds like he’s taken a bit of a hiatus and regrouping. Good idea on the trimming of the fat, though–I haven’t done that for a while, so guess that will be one of my Saturday goals.

Comment by Laura — 3/1/2008 @ 10:11 am