Posted by Brad @ 2:28 am on November 20th 2007

The Liberty Forum

As promised, now that the schedule is updated:

I’ll be speaking at the 2008 Liberty Forum in early January. My speech is tentatively titled “Towards a Civic Constitutionalism”. What I’ll be primarily focusing on are the challenges and opportunities inherent to organizing a constitutionalist grassroots. Not only do I intend to argue that the constitution is more than a limiting framework, but also a productive engine, I also intend to outline ways in which constitutionalism can be a positivist force and organizing principle for grassroots activism across the spectrum, rather than just a stuffy legal abstraction.

Then, to fill the remaining 55 minutes of my alloted time, I shall make balloon animals. Live free or die!

In any event, the speaker list is by no means complete, but already there are more than enough reasons to register and show up (including the first announced keynote speaker, Senator John Sununu). It’ll be the premier libertarian forum of the year. But, if you need another reason, I have it on decent authority that the marquee speakers will be impressive, including probably at least one current presidential candidate. To put it lightly, if you can make it, you won’t regret it.

And yes, if you’re wondering, me pimping the Liberty Forum is a new bi-weekly occurrence. Get used to it.

Liberty Forum 2008.

1. The photo makes you look batshit insane.

You’ll fit right in.

Comment by Rojas — 11/20/2007 @ 11:28 am

2. I note that there is no explicit mention of this blog in the sentence about you there. Bastard.

Comment by Adam — 11/20/2007 @ 11:37 am

3. I put in for that, actually (I wrote “Blogger at http://www.thecrossedpond.com and blah blah”). Editorial decision on their part, I reckon.

Comment by Brad — 11/20/2007 @ 11:47 am

4. You will be on the same platform as Tom Cryer, “the man who beat the IRS”. Who will probably spend the last part of his life in PMITA Federal prison, but still, cherish the moment.

Comment by Adam — 11/20/2007 @ 11:51 am

5. As for me attending, even if you could use your celebrity to wangle me a press-type pass, I am not sure if I can be there because I believe that I have a physicsy meeting at the same time. Which may be somewhat less rousing.

Comment by Adam — 11/20/2007 @ 11:52 am

6. You will be on the same platform as Tom Cryer, “the man who beat the IRS”. Who will probably spend the last part of his life in PMITA Federal prison, but still, cherish the moment.

For that matter, I note that the Liberty Dollar guy is also a speaker.

I give the whole thing about a 3 to 1 odds of being raided by federal authorities. And, those Free Staters are usually packing. So the chances of going down in a hail of bullets are probably substantially higher than at most academic polisci conferences.

Yet another reason to attend!

Comment by Brad — 11/20/2007 @ 12:10 pm

7. Brad, You know they have color photography now?

Comment by Jack — 11/20/2007 @ 6:23 pm

8. It was the only picture I had that would do as an official looking headshot. I don’t take many pictures.

Comment by Brad — 11/20/2007 @ 6:27 pm