Posted by Brad @ 10:18 pm on November 16th 2007

The Republican Candidates on Medical Marijuana

The Liberty Papers has a great roundup of videos on where the candidates stand on medical marijuana, from their own mouths.

Even though I think its ridiculous, and a great evil, I can sort of understand people who are in favor of criminalizing dope. “It’s for the children” blah blah blah. But I can’t even fathom the case against medical marijuana, which strikes me as just straight-up insane. Medical marijuana simply means letting states have the right to decide if doctors have the right to decide if THC might be an option in treating pain and a few other specific ailments. How that translates to a social ill is beyond me; it should be beyond anybody (you know I’m vehement when I italicize this much).

How gutless do you have to be when you’re so scared of even giving the appearance of being soft on a completely unrelated issue (on which you are ALSO wrong and gutless!) that you’ll look a friggin’ cancer patient in the eye and tell them that you know better than they, their doctors, and their states, on the question of which treatments are “appropriate” and which are not.

Pretty spineless and small.

But don’t take my word for it. Listen to the candidates themselves.

Mitt Romney
Rudy Giuliani
John McCain
Fred Thompson
Mike Huckabee
Ron Paul

1. I think you’re exactly right Brad. Reasonable people can have reasonable disagreements about the whole question of recreational use of drugs and its legality, but I think medical use is entirely different. Doctors prescribe opiates (in the same family as heroin) every day for pain relief and for the dying. Taken to it’s logical conclusion, I think you’d have to say that those things should be outlawed, as well–I mean if you’re not going to let a doctor prescribe marijuana for those who might get some good out of it, just because it’s illegal recreationally, then you might as well shut down all pain relief greater than Tylenol, because all of the really effective stuff is illegal without a prescription. I don’t see how making marijuana a controlled medical substance subject to the same rules as morphine and related drugs is going to result in the end of the world as we know it.

Comment by Laura — 11/16/2007 @ 10:49 pm

2. Pot seems so harmless to me. I also understand not wanting to legalize it as a recreational drug, but medicinal purposes seem to support the legalization.

I guess I just don’t see how they can keep it on the banned list when we have drugs like Oxycontin on the market. Somehow I just don’t see anybody committing armed robbery at the pharmacy for some pot.

Comment by Cruise — 11/17/2007 @ 12:25 am

3. Brad, Good topic.

Comment by Jon — 11/17/2007 @ 1:13 am

4. Man, I hope you guys clicked through those links. 1 leader, 5 petty scoundrels.

Comment by Brad — 11/17/2007 @ 3:30 am

5. You hit the nail on the head Brad. To deny someone who is either dieing or living with a life long disease, like me, where your quality of life is so diminished and the constant discomfort, pain, or nausea will make you seek relief whether it is legal or illegal. It baffles me why with today’s medical and scientific knowledge we have and yet cannabis (THC) is still considered the Killer of youth. HA! What a joke. Ask yourself this, since we have millions of people who smoke marijuana daily ranging in age from teens to seniors, why aren’t ther thousands of people dropping dead or developing mental/physical problems caused by the use of marijuana? Because marijuana is not harmful to your health, mentally or physically. So why since we know this do we keep Alcohol and Nicotine legal and marijuana illegal? Because of the “Fear and Smer” campaign started in 1930 and continued to today. The DEA is still putting out misinformation about the use of marijuana, while deadly and seriously addictive substances are legal. Get over it you unbeleivers who force there will on people who once trusted them to fight for their right to life, liberty, and the pusuit of happiness i.e. our politco’s. Believe you me when you feel like you are going to vomit at any time freedom is only a word until you can get refief from the nausea and vomiting. Legalize Medical Marijuana Now, and release all those in prison for marijuana posession, use, growing, and dispensing! That’s my point of view.

Comment by eltone — 11/17/2007 @ 10:45 am

6. Good Show Brad:

Nice concise piece about a VERY important subject for me and my friends. I have seen many families affected because cannibus is not legal. I believe the prohibition of it to be unconstitutional. Dr. Paul is my hero!

Dwayne

All you potheads out there, register to vote, rememebr the tea party on 12/16/07. http://www.teapartyo7.com

Comment by dwayneahall — 11/17/2007 @ 1:04 pm

7. I’m not so worried about whether or not it’s constitutional with a different Supreme Court (because this one does seem to believe that the prohibition is constitutional), the ban just seems stupid to me.

Frankly, I have no dog in this fight — I don’t care whether people use cannabis, for medical or other reasons, or not — except that I pay taxes which go toward enforcement of the drug laws, including the (expensive) incarceration of convincted offenders. I’d prefer not to pay that money (or, at least, failing that, for the money to be put towards something more worthwhile).

The Will of the People will eventually win on this matter, I think; all those candidates apart from Paul are making a political calculation (arguably, Paul could be too, although his political calculations seem relatively few and far between, which is why he almost certainly isn’t going to win anything). As the campaigners swing public opinion far enough, particularly amongst people such as primary voters and likely general election voters, politicians from both parties will back it and it’ll happen.

Comment by Adam — 11/17/2007 @ 2:14 pm

8. Does Hillary count as a Republican?

Comment by Brad — 11/26/2007 @ 12:50 am