Posted by Brad @ 11:09 pm on November 8th 2007

DHS: Comedy Gold

From color alerts to sinking cities to fake press conferences, now this.

WASHINGTON ó The nomination prospects for Julie Myers to take charge at the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agency took a major downturn Wednesday after Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., placed a temporary hold on the nominee following a Halloween costume party gone wrong.

Myers, tapped to be the nation’s top immigration enforcer, was one of three judges at a costume party at a Homeland Security Department office party last Wednesday. The panel awarded the “best original costume” prize to an employee who had dressed in dreadlocks, blackface, and a prison uniform.

The outfit, viewed by some staffers as racially insensitive, caused enough department embarrassment to lead not only Myers to apologize, but her boss, Secretary Michael Chertoff, as well.

Hell, I’m beginning to like these guys.

It’s kind of like what would happen if you let a very low-key GWAR run a government agency. It’s getting to be like a very subtle, meta dada performance art schtick that we’re all just too dumb to figure out yet.

1. I’ll grant you this much: GWAR is just about as subtle in its methods as the Bush administration.

Comment by Rojas — 11/8/2007 @ 11:38 pm

2. Rojas, aren’t you in KS? Drive over to Manhattan and ask Julie’s papa what’s going on?

Comment by Jon Josserand — 11/8/2007 @ 11:47 pm

3. Assuming you haven’t yet left Lawrence, you’re closer to Manhattan than I am.

The only Kansas connection of which I’m aware for Ms. Myers is that she’s originally from Shawnee, which is about ten minutes driving distance from my computer.

Comment by Rojas — 11/9/2007 @ 12:02 am

4. For some reason I didn’t remember/realize that you two knew each other.

Comment by Brad — 11/9/2007 @ 12:05 am

5. We don’t, so far as he knows.

My mysterious pseudonym strikes again.

Comment by Rojas — 11/9/2007 @ 12:11 am

6. I don’t know Rojas, but thought he was in KS. I can check the records of the Kansas Correctional System….

Didn’t know that Myers had lived in KS. But wanted you all to realize some contend the only reason she got her job was indirectly related to her father’s job as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Now retired to teach a course or two at KSU.

Rojas, you are 10 minutes which direction from Shawnee?

Comment by Jon — 11/9/2007 @ 1:22 am

7. Ok, if you guys have fake ids, meet me, Nancy Boyda, registering here soon.

Comment by Jon — 11/9/2007 @ 1:25 am

8. I don’t really like myers, but we should not jump on the bandwagon of this PC lynching.

Comment by daveg — 11/9/2007 @ 3:02 am

9. Ok, if you guys have fake ids, meet me, Nancy Boyda, registering here soon.

haha.

I donít really like myers, but we should not jump on the bandwagon of this PC lynching.

I should clarify: I have no real opinion on Myers, but am mostly with you that a racially inappropriate Halloween costume should not generally be grounds for dismissal, or even considered beyond the pale.

HOWEVER, when you’re up for the job of “Director of U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement”, and you’re on a panel judging costumes for a work party, and the one you pick to win is the most racially inappropriate costume in the room, by a longshot….that’s a pretty laughably bad political move.

Either laughably bad, or fucking genius. Again, I’m starting to get on the fence as to which.

Comment by Brad — 11/9/2007 @ 3:37 am

10. No, my observation is really about why Julie Myers even has the job she has. No promotion, no Halloween party, just why? You are missing it.

Comment by Jon — 11/9/2007 @ 4:05 am

11. Check up on her history. What is it really? Nothing.

I could be head of ICE. Or you.

Comment by Jon — 11/9/2007 @ 4:07 am

12. I agree. Her dad was a general, or something like that, no?

Just another Bush crony.