Posted by Brad @ 1:01 am on May 14th 2007

Music Video of the Week

British 80s edition!

Since Adam made fun of the music from my formative years (at least that which is confined by a specific genre), here are some of his I reckon. Sadly, I don’t know what truly guilty pleasures he might have had, though as a physicist, I’m sure they were truly awful. These are all ones I like, anyway.

A 27-year-old Billy Bragg – Milkman of Human Kindness. 1984.

XTC – Senses Working Overtime. 1982.

The Smiths – How Soon is Now. 1985.

Bronski Beat – Smalltown Boy. 1984.

Even though it’s dreadfully serious, try, just try, to get through that last one with a straight face.

If you manage it, you still won’t be able to survive the bonus track.

Dammit. I keep starting these things strong and then petering out into kitsch.

1. Quite accidentally, I seem to have ordered the videos in ascending levels of synthesizer.

Comment by Brad — 5/14/2007 @ 1:08 am

2. That is all good stuff.

Comment by Adam — 5/14/2007 @ 7:25 am

3. Adam has already quoted an entire Smiths song from memory on this blog. I think we can infer as to his adolescent musical tastes. It ain’t a pretty picture.

Comment by Rojas — 5/14/2007 @ 11:10 am

4. Hey, it was only a part of the song.

However, I can sing along with pretty much any of the Smiths songs.

Comment by Adam — 5/14/2007 @ 12:39 pm

5. Please don’t.

Comment by Rojas — 5/14/2007 @ 12:42 pm

6. There is absolutely nothing wrong with The Smiths. I would say if you wanted to hit Adam where it hurts, make fun of his D&D love, but he’s already beat you to that punch many times.

Comment by tessellated — 5/14/2007 @ 6:38 pm

7. I think that Bronski Beat is Adam’s guilty pleasure. If you wanted to attest to what he would have, with pride, listened, to, you would have replaced Bronski Beat with The Cure.

I have it on good authority that Adam’s more of a Jimmy Somerville man than a Bronski Beat fan.

Comment by Leotie — 5/14/2007 @ 9:55 pm

8. I hate The Cure.

Actually, not a big fan of The Smiths either. I think the song I put up is the only one I’ve ever had on heavy rotation.

Whiny limeys, the lot of them.

I think what does it for me in that last clip is Marc Almond. I can’t tell though. It’s either Almond’s vocal fills or Somerville’s letter jacket. Or the keyboard player, who keeps giving me that Dahmer look.

Comment by Brad — 5/14/2007 @ 11:13 pm

9. Two more, from one of my favorite UK bands.

The Proclaimers – Sunshine on Leith. 1988.

The Proclaimers – Kind of the Road. Because why not?

Sadly, most of my favorites aren’t on YouTube, though you can get I Would Walk (500 Miles) about 500 different ways, this being my favorite.

Comment by Brad — 5/15/2007 @ 4:45 am

10. There is a lot of American music I like, although very little of it is from the 80s and 90s.

Comment by Adam — 5/15/2007 @ 7:23 am

11. You’re on for next Sunday night then.

Comment by Brad — 5/15/2007 @ 8:30 am