Posted by Brad @ 1:52 pm on April 25th 2007

Music Video of the Week

I really slaved trying to find a video clip that would do her justice. This isn’t perfect, but the best I could find.

Joanna Newsom put out the best album of 2004, The Milk-Eyed Mender, from which this song comes. Her latest, “Ys” is this impossibly baroque orchestral chamber music thing with 6 20-minute long songs about anthropomorphic bears and whatnot, and is a masterpiece, if a little….inaccessible. She’s a tough gal to introduce people to, because the second she opens her mouth a “love it or hate it” reaction ensues, usually the latter. And yet, there’s something impossibly evanescent about her. She’s also one of the best lyric writers of her generation, ridiculously confident and weird and otherworldly; Lewis Carrollish. Anyway, like I said, this clip doesn’t do any of it justice, but, here it is.

Joanna Newsom – The Book of Right-On

And, for sheer balls, her old show-opener:

1. “Hate it” really cover it for me, Brad. Let’s just say that I have heard better sounds coming out of a slaughterhouse and leave it at that.

Comment by Yank Crank — 4/25/2007 @ 2:19 pm

2. She sounds like Cyndi Lauper crossed with Bjork, on helium.

Comment by JJ — 4/25/2007 @ 3:08 pm

3. This is my first video of the week to get a comment.

You are all a bunch of nay-sayers. I see how it is.

Comment by Brad — 4/25/2007 @ 3:46 pm

4. Bull, Brad, I gave you positive comments on at least one other. I’m sorry, but this chick is so bad it makes my teeth hurt.

Comment by Yank Crank — 4/25/2007 @ 4:35 pm

5. Not bad, just not to your taste.

I don’t push Joanna Newsom on people, like I might other musicians I really love. About 8/10s of people will immediately turn off the second she opens her mouth (there were quite a few songs I could have chosen that are more abrasive to heathen ears than this one). The 2/10s of people that love her, really love her. I post this for them. And me. Mostly me.

Comment by Brad — 4/25/2007 @ 6:05 pm

6. I would like to point out that 2/10 of people are freaks. I’m just sayin’.

Comment by Yank Crank — 4/26/2007 @ 8:37 am